Central Library, being part and parcel to the education and research system, is playing a vital role in the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT). It provides information support and functions as a nerve centre for academic and research activities around which the progress of university is realized. The Central Library serves a wide range of users’ viz. undergraduate students, postgraduate students, research scholars, scientists, teachers, administrators and other staff/employees of the university present in headquarters and other outlying colleges and research stations.
The Library Committee is functioning under the chairmanship of the Vice-Chancellor with six more members for effective functioning of the Central Library. The Chief Librarian of the University is the member convener of the committee. The composition of the library committee is as follows:
Dr. Bhagirathi Panigrahi
7978814853, (0674) 2397818, Ext-126
Name: Mrs. Sanjukta Das
Name: Mrs. Monisha Mishra
Name: Dr. Sasmita Brahma
Name: Dr. Debraj Meher
Function of the library committee
- Formulating the library policies and objectives
- Advising the Chief Librarian for preparing budget proposals
- Monitoring the library expenditures
- Advising on the policy for producing unique library materials
- Advising the Chief Librarian for planning the overall development of the University Central Library, libraries of the colleges, departments and research stations
Library space and timing
The Central Library of the OUAT is functioning on the first floor of the university main building occupying 2400sq.mt space. The Library remains open from 8 AM to 8 PM on every working days of OUAT calendar.
- The Reference Reading Room remains open from 8 AM to 8 PM.
- The Circulation Section remains open from 10 AM to 4.30PM.
- Other sections like Book Bank, e-Library, Current Journal, Back-volumes of Journals, Theses and Reports, Reprography facilities are available between 10 AM to 5 PM.
Sections of the library
- Property Counter
- Display section for new arrivals and OUAT Publications
- Common Reading Section
- Reprographic Section
- Book Bank
- Faculty Training Section
- Circulation Section
- Current Journal Section
- Reference and Reading Section
- Stack Room
- Thesis and Reports Section
- Back-volume Journal Section
Information resources Refer Annual report
- of Books – 97589
- Current Journals Subscribed: Foreign 45, Indian 110
- Journals (Bound volumes) – 17204
- Sc. & Ph.D. Theses – 3951
- General Reference, Reports, Proceedings, Abstracts, Reviews, Bibliographies etc. including in-house publications – 9524
- E-Resources viz:
- Consortium: CeRA ;
- Offline CD-ROM Databases: CABI, Vet-CD;
- Online database: J-Gate, AgriCat , DOAJ etc.
Sections of the library
- Lending service
- Database of Current Journals
- Current Awareness Service
- Textbook bank
- Inter-library loan
- Reprography service
- Reference service
- User education
The e-Library facility in the library started functioning from April 2004 with 50 numbers of computers. The users in e-Library can avail online access through internet cell and CD-ROM databases. The e-Library remains open from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM and renders service in batches. Undergraduate students, PG and Ph.D. scholars are allowed to use e-Library from 10.00 AM to 1.00 PM and 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM respectively. During the reporting period 117608numbers of stakeholders have visited the e-library. The services of e-library are:
The Central Library has installed LibSys Software in the year 2004 and started automation. But, it was not functional due to some technical problems. However, the library automation work was restarted in 2010 and is functional.
The University Central Library came into existence since 1968 with the transfer of books, journals and other publications from the College of Agriculture, Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry and Basic Science & Humanities. The library provides facilities like reading room, inter library loan, test book bank, photo copying, reference service, on line public access etc. Computerization of library with e-library facility has been made available to the students and staff of the University. The library is subscribing for 6 data-base in CDROM form, 114 National and 56 International journals. Presently there are 79,000 books, 15,000 journals, 7,700 technical reports and 3375 Ph.D. and P.G. theses.